1. A growing youth has a wolf in his belly.
A growing youth is always hungry.
2. A hedge between keeps friendship green.
We remain better friends if we give enough space to each other.
3. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.
Spread your risks to avoid losing everything.
4. Kill two birds with one stone.
Accomplish two objectives with one action.
5. Money burns a hole in the pocket.
When money is spent quickly, it’s as if it burns a hole in the pocket and drops out.
6. When the cat is away, the mice will play.
When the person in authority is away, the other people will take advantage of his absence (by misbehaving, for instance).
7. A bad workman always blames his tools.
A person deficient in skill finds excuses for his poor performance.
8. Cross the stream where it is shallowest.
Do not create unnecessary difficulties by doing things the hard way. Think of the simplest way.
9. Health is better than wealth.
Physical and mental well-being is more important than monetary riches.
10. If the cap fits, wear it.
If you find the criticism or some other remark applies to you, accept it.
11. Keep something for a rainy day.
If you are careful with your money, you will never be without the necessities of life.
12. Money talks.
Money can influence others to the advantage of its owner.
13. One good turn deserves another.
If someone has been kind to you, you should return the kindness.
14. A nod is as good as a wink.
A person’s expression in lieu of words can convey the same meaning.
15. Curiosity killed the cat.
A person who tries to find out too much about other people’s affairs is likely to get into trouble.