Choose the idiom
1. The 1961 movie West Side Story is a modern version of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. For the protagonists, Maria and Tony, played by Natalie Wood and Richard Beymer, it is (falling in love with each other at their first meeting).
(a) love in a cottage (b) love at first sight (c) cupboard love
2. The two rival gangs, the Jets and the Sharks, (behave boisterously) at the dance.
(a) play hard to get (b) shake a leg (c) let their hair down
3. Bernado, the leader of the Sharks, (causes much commotion) when he sees his sister, Maria, dancing with Tony of the Jets.
(a) plays possum (b) blows the cobwebs away (c) kicks up a dust
4. Tony obviously loves Maria (most sincerely).
(a) from head to toe (b) from the bottom of his heart (c) all the time
5. At the rumble, the fight starts to get serious when Riff, the leader of the Jets, gives Bernado (a blow with the fist).
(a) a bunch of fives (b) a free hand (c) an iron hand/fist in a velvet glove
6. Tony, who has killed Bernado, borrows money from Tony’s boss, Doc, so that he can go to the country with Maria to (hide so as to avoid being caught).
(a) eat humble pie (b) lie low (c) fly high
7. When Bernado’s girlfriend, Anita, goes to Doc’s Candy Store on behalf of Maria to deliver a message to Tony, the Jets assault her. She (gets revenge) by telling them a lie, that Maria’s Puerto Rican boyfriend, Chino, has killed her.
(a) puts her foot down (b) gets her own back (c) makes monkeys out of them all
8. Chino wants to take his revenge on Tony, who (has won Maria’s love).
(a) has caught Maria’s eye (b) has given Maria the glad eye (c) has stolen Maria’s heart
9. Doc (reprimands Tony) for the killing of Bernado.
(a) hauls Tony over the coals (b) gives Tony the evil eye (c) gives Tony the elbow
10. Chino shoots Tony (cruelly and deliberately).
(a) in full cry (b) at the drop of a hat (c) in cold blood